Support for Transitioning to a Gluten Free Lifestyle



I’ve never heard of someone failing to adhere to a gluten free diet or find ease at making this lifestyle change, simply because they couldn’t find enough gluten free recipes. 

But, due to the number of gluten free blogs and recipe sites out there on the internet, or cookbooks on the end caps of the gluten free aisle of your grocery store, you’d think that that were the case! When I was first diagnosed with Celiac a little over 2 years ago, I Googled “gluten free,” and came up with a laundry list of gluten free recipe sites the size of the Twenty Kids and Counting’s personal laundry list, and that is no joke!

Was I supposed to find comfort in the fact that there were tons of gluten free packaged foods available or a gazillion and one recipes for gluten free chocolate cake? Sure, I love me some chocolate cake and I have found some recipes that you would die for, not ever knowing they were gluten free. Here's a great one right here: One Bowl Gluten Free Chocolate Cake.

Maybe for some this is all the comfort you need, but initially that wasn’t the issue I was struggling with. The problem for me was the emotional loss of the food I loved and inherently was a part of me. I’m willing to bet too, that if you’re reading this blog you or someone you know is struggling with the emotional toll of what you can’t eat, as opposed to what you can eat. 

I wasn’t just struggling with the fact that I was missing food. I was struggling with the fact that I missed me; the ME I was for 30+ years. The ME that craved pizza and upon getting my hot and ready pizza in hand, devoured slice upon slice of it dipped in blue cheese. I remember as a teenager coming home from track practice one night only to be welcomed by a hot, cheesy, greasy pizza from one of the authentic pizza shops in my small town, Vinny’s Pizzeria. The name in itself stirs up memories stored deep in my core and have over the years intricately made away into my soul. I devoured, not 1, or 2, or 3, or 4, but 5 slices of that stuff, and man I felt good!

I missed the traditions like the German chocolate cake that was passed down from my grandma’s mom, the meatballs from my dad’s mom. But, not only the traditions, the everyday abilities to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Simple things, like the act of being able to rip open a bag of Doritos and indulge when I was having a bad day, (regular Doritos contained wheat 2 years ago, btw). Are you getting the sense of a food junkie, here?

I felt alone at baby showers or birthdays when the tables were spread with cookies, crackers, breads and hidden gluten in dips and sauces. I felt awkward when it was time for cake and I had to pass. I wondered what people thought of me. Did they think I was on a diet? “Why does she need to diet, she’s skinny as a rail,” or “she must be one of those health freaks,” or “too good to indulge in a little cake, huh?” Look at her with her carrots and broccoli, and NO ranch dip, (in fear of hidden gluten). The voices went on and on.

Outside of intimate social gatherings, I didn’t know how to speak up and ask questions at restaurants or assert myself with the wait staff asking them to change their gloves when preparing my gluten free meal. I read books and educated myself- YES, and I’m so glad I did! But I was still insecure; it was still new and overwhelming and I didn’t feel that I had much support. The recipes were there, the foods were on the grocery store shelves, the options were on the menus, but I was alone. 

Not only was I still struggling with WHY this was happening to me, I didn’t know anyone else who ate gluten free and I certainly didn’t know anyone who had Celiac disease. I felt like an outsider and despite how good I felt physically after sticking to the gluten free diet consistently, the first year was a rough transition.

Since educating myself over the past couple years, blogging and sharing with others what I’ve learned about the benefits of going gluten free (for non-celiacs as well), it has definitely gotten easier. Yes, the recipes are great and the availability of gluten free foods in most mainstream grocery stores is certainly helpful when I’m in a rush. 

But, that doesn’t discount the fact that I suffered a lot and felt very lonely in the beginning. And, at times I admittedly still feel uncomfortable and mourn the fact that I will never again be able to consume that sticky stuff that gives breads and cookies the soft chewy seductive look, texture and taste we all crave. 

Today more and more people are aware of the gluten free diet. Not just to treat Celiac disease, but to help treat symptoms of other “disorders,” or diagnoses like ADHD, autism, diabetes, eczema, constipation, IBS, arthritis, fibromyalgia to name a few.  Read here for more information about non-celiac gluten intolerance.

Yesterday, I was reminded of this when I struck up a conversation with the cashier at Trader Joe’s who commented on these yummy gluten free cupcakes I was buying. 


She assured me they were very good, (although I already knew that because I’d had them before). I told her I was buying them to keep in the freezer at school for my 7 year old son who we are trying a gluten free diet with. That way, they would be on hand when there's a birthday celebration in class and he can't eat the cupcakes that will be brought in. 

I explained to her that although my older son and I have Celiac disease, my 7 year old tested negative twice for the disease despite the stomach aches, headaches and generally fatigued stature. I went on to tell her that I suspected that he had non-celiac gluten intolerance. 

She explained that her friend’s son was just diagnosed with ADHD and she had heard that a gluten free diet can help with that. I quickly agreed that a gluten free diet has been shown to help with many different symptoms and disorders, and as a matter of fact I had just read a book about, GlutenFree- Casein Free for ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorders. She quickly jotted down the title to give to her friend, and once again I received confirmation that I need to share my story and spread the word about the benefits of a gluten free diet.  

This is just one isolated example of the many people out there in the world, trying to find their way with the gluten free diet either because they were prescribed it by a doctor or because they thought they would give it a try to treat a multitude of possible symptoms.

For those that have a choice whether to be gluten free or to take a pill to treat symptoms, I can relate to how lost and lonely they must feel. I can also imagine how easy it might be to throw in the towel and accept medication, because hey, a pill is easier to swallow than swallowing the fact that your whole idea about foods, what’s healthy for you and what’s not, needs to change.

That's why I'm here; that's why I do this. I love to help others, enlighten others, educate, empower, encourage and support others who are struggling with going gluten free or knowing that gluten free might be a good alternative to medication or multiple doctor visits or even surgeries. 

If you or someone you know needs assistance with the gluten free diet, or eliminating other possibly troubling foods, that person needs support! I can help make that person’s transition go smoother by providing support, education, and resources. Please feel free to contact me at glutenfreehelathcoach@gmail.com or visit my Facebook page, Gluten Free B for more information and to get connected with others who are living the gluten free lifestyle too!

Comments

Popular Posts