Welcoming 2013 with Greater Gluten Free Hopes

Last night my family and I sat around the dinner table reflecting on the past year. Looking forward to the New Year, we did something we never did before. We went around the table and named one thing we were thankful for this past year and something that we were looking forward to this coming year. The kids’ answers were very practical kid answers, of course. My boys’ didn’t span far back but to the week of Christmas; they were thankful for the Hex Bug Battle Bridge and Lego Creator house that they had received from Santa.  I shared what I was thankful for after the boys. Although I had a lot to be thankful I know I can be very deep and overly reflective, so I took into consideration the context and kept my answer short, sweet, but honest.
I was thankful that I was able to stay home full time with my kiddos so I could volunteer in their classrooms, be there when they went to school and got home and I was also happy to spend so much time with my three year old, doing play dates and hanging out with her around the house. My daughter went last and her answer was almost a carbon copy of my answer but from her perspective. She was thankful that she could stay home with mommy and play with her friends and she was looking forward to playing with all of her friends in the New Year (and she went on to name all of her little girl friends.)  It was quite a nice moment, one that my husband and I both realized at the end that we should have videotaped. (We always think of that after the fact- UGH!)
Reflecting on last year, I realize I have a ton to be thankful for and being gluten free is one of them! On top of how much better I feel on a gluten free diet, I have helped many people realize that they could be gluten sensitive to some degree or another. I have mentored people, supplied information, resources and support and this is something I absolutely love doing. When I quit my job as a mentor and college advisor a year and a half ago because I was sick and needed to take some time for myself to figure things out, I had no idea that I would now be doing exactly what I loved doing in my paid position; supporting, encouraging and educating people about something I was passionate about.
At one time gluten was causing me so much grief, but being able to accept the changes I’ve had to make over time by continually educating myself about celiac disease, gluten sensitivities, food and our bodies overall, my disease has helped birth a new passion and opportunity that I could have never imagined otherwise.  With that, I am so excited for the opportunities that I know lie ahead for me this year and for the gluten free community as a whole. One way that things are improving for the gluten free community is that people are becoming more aware of the growing needs of gluten free items. Grocery stores are not only continuing to stock gluten free items, but they are increasing the number of gluten free items they carry.
Just yesterday, I spoke to the Department Manager that covers the gluten free section at my local Wal-Mart. I approached her because I noticed that many of the gluten free items they had stocked in an aisle that appeared to be dedicated gluten free before, was no longer but a hodgepodge of organic foods which I might mention DOES NOT mean gluten free. I expressed my disappointment, explaining (Ok I went on a tangent) that gluten free is NOT a trend and it is NOT going away…..blah, blah, blah…. There are people that have diseases and our foods have been processed to the point that there is no reversing that! I had to get this out- people have got to know this!
She seemed to understand, saying that she has customers inquiring about gluten free foods all the time. While we talked a little more she was nice enough to walk me around and show me where some of the gluten free items I was looking for were stocked amongst the “regular” foods in their corresponding category. She introduced me to Heartland gluten free pasta, right next to the whole grain Heartland organic pasta. I picked up a bag of the GF pasta, which was reasonably priced and then made it last night for dinner. It’s made with corn and rice and it does taste like the real deal, or what I remember the real deal tasting like- it was very good.
 As I continued to shop, I came upon a most amazing discovery in the frozen food section- *** UDI’S bread!!! Not only was it there, but it was about $1.50 cheaper than I’ve seen it anywhere else. On top of that they also had Van’s waffles and Amy’s frozen dinners. Despite my initial disappointment with the disappearance of the gluten free aisle, my new findings completely made up for that, and it was overall a positive shopping experience at my local Wal-Mart.
Knowing that grocery stores are continuing to stock a variety of gluten free items is just one sign that things are really improving in the gluten free arena and I’ve got even greater hopes for 2013!  I can’t wait to continue learning more about gluten sensitivity, supplying information, sharing ideas and talking to food store and restaurant managers about their gluten free food options.

Comments

  1. Hi Bethany, it is so awesome when God can use our previous experiences to further His kingdom. I love it that you are passionately sharing your knowledge with others and helping them to feel better. I do believe that God wants us all well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts