GLUTEN FREE B does the Boilermaker!

Many of you have asked about how I did in the Boilermaker 15K run a few weeks ago. I've been so crazy busy, that I haven't had much time to do what I wanted to with the pictures and the stories, but here's just a little something.

If you want to know how I did, I'll tell you, "I Ran for my Life."

You see, I always enjoyed running from the time I was a kid. I used to run through the fields on the old farm I grew up on and imagined a "bad guy," chasing me and me trying to get away from him.  I enjoyed the thrill and the wind blowing through my hair. I felt amazing, on top of the world- wonderful when I was running! In high school I ran track and in college I ran cross-country. I ran my first Boilermaker in 1998 after partying all night when I was just a young unaware college girl living for the moment. I ran when I joined the Army- trained for the Army 10-miler, then when I got out of the Army I kept running. I met a great friend that trained with me for my first half marathon that I successfully completed in 2 hours and 5 minutes in 2007.



Before I was sick, I was running for my life because it WAS my life. It was what kept me feeling normal in a sometimes dark and confusing world. It was pretty much one of the only healthy positive things that helped me feel at peace and most confident. Two and a half years ago I couldn't run- the something I had always enjoyed doing and realized depended on to help me feel good was taken away from me when I was suddenly sick, losing weight, feeling emotionally and physically drained and in pain. I didn't know why this was happening to me, and I thought I'd never be able to run again.

 
Thankfully things turned around when I finally went 100% gluten free and dairy free in 2012. My pain went away and I was able to work up to running longer distances again. I didn't beat my time in the Boilermaker this year like I thought I would and admittedly I was temporarily disappointed. But, I have to keep remembering where I came from and not compare myself to others. I came from being able to barely walk due to sharp pains shooting down my legs, severe back and hip pain in 2010 to being able to run a 15K again in 2013 for the first time since 2007. If I stop and think about it and shut out all the negative crap running through my head, that is quite an accomplishment!

During the run, I had a couple great conversations with people who were gluten free or had thought about going gluten free for various reasons. One particular girl about my age said she was gluten free, but was still in a lot of pain and had a lot of inflammation in her knees, hips, ankles etc. She said she didn't have insurance so wasn't able to go to the doctor to get tested. Her next step was to try going dairy free to see if that would help alleviate some pain and swelling. I encouraged her to keep trying to find answers. I think I enlightened her and inspired her that there is hope and that she did not have to settle with the pain.

This year, when I was running the Boilermaker I was running for my life for a cause- Running because what I once lost and thought was gone forever was back after a long road of seeking answers and running toward the things I was afraid of- the unknown and the "what ifs."



Although I didn't run my fastest, I kept going! I had some great conversations along the way, took some great pictures and (not so great) videos and was touched by peoples' joy, kindness and vigor for life and running. When I look at how I used to measure my success before I was "sick," it would have been measured by what the clock said when I crossed the finish line, but today, my success is measured in a way that is more meaningful. It's measured by the peoples' lives I touch and the people who touch my life through their stories, and that's a record no one can ever beat!

The bagpipes are one of my favorite parts of the race. Didn't get to hear much of them this time as I was running past when they were just finishing up this one. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts