Going Gluten Free Doesn't Mean Going Broke

So, you think you can’t go gluten free because it’s too expensive? Think again!
Whether you’ve been diagnosed with full blown celiac disease or think that you might just be sensitive to gluten and want to try gluten free for any of the following reasons, you can do it and do it without going broke!

Reasons you might want to try gluten free (always consult with your health care provider first and do your own research):
·         Increased energy
·         Clearer skin
·         Less aches and pains
·         Less belly aches
·         Ability to think clearer
·         Less sinus problems
·         Less headaches
There are a few ways you can actually save money or not spend more than you spend now when you transition to gluten free. One way to do this is by using coupons on regular items as well as gluten free items.
I just got a ton of coupons yesterday for my favorite gluten free products by calling the companies and will be calling them every couple of months for more. Pictured here are the ones I got just from Glutino.

Here are the companies I got coupons from and whyJ
Enjoy Life- they have the best Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Chocolate Chip cookies and they are free of all 8 common allergens.
Glutino- for the Oreo -like cookies. You can use these cookies for pie crusts or just for dunking in milk, YUMJ
Udi’s-it’s the best bread by far. This is sold locally at Price Chopper and Trader Joe’s. At $5.99 for a small loaf I’ve cut my bread consumption to almost nothing and use it for my son’s sandwiches only. This bread is a little more filling, so he only eats half a sandwich which means that a loaf will last me at least 2 weeks.
Lactaid- since our villi are destroyed by the gluten, we have become unable to breakdown the enzymes in regular milk. Over time and without re-exposure to gluten, the small intestine will be completely healed and we will be able to consume milk products with no problem (in most cases).
De’Boles- they make regular pasta, but also make gluten free corn pasta. The corn pasta seems to hold it's shape and consistency better than brown rice pasta. Although I like Tinkyada brown rice pasta too. The corn pasta is preferred over brown rice pasta by many people. Either way, the De'Boles was on sale at Price Chopper this week for $1.99 a box, so I stocked up:)

Here are the companies on my list to call today and why:
Snyder’s – they make gluten free pretzels. I prefer them over the Glutino brand and they can be found at a very reasonable price at Wal-Mart.
Quaker- for their Rice Cakes. The big ones are gluten free.
Since my oldest son also has celiac disease and my younger son is gluten sensitive I do pack these kinds of gluten free snacks in their lunches. I make sure to balance it out with fruit, vegetables and dairy as well:) Remember, eating a bunch of gluten free foods does not automatically mean you're going to be healthy, lose weight, get rid or your other ailments or fight disease. You should  include fruits and vegetables into every meal and snacks for optimal health.

Comments

  1. When you call,do you just tell them that you're wondering if they are willing to send coupons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Sometimes I have gone into a little more detail and say something like this, "Three of my family members suffer from celiac disease and we've been using your products and really enjoy them. However, as you know the items can be costly and I was wondering if you could send me some coupons to make purchasing the items a little more affordable." When I called Lactaid, they were very receptive. I don't think I went into much detail except for saying that we recently found out we were lactose intolerant. They even gave me a reference number so that if I ever wanted to call back and ask for more coupons, I would have to give my name and address again, I would just have to give the reference number and they'd send more out. I recieved the Udi's, Glutino and Lactaid coupons within 3 days of calling. Other companies said it could take up to 6 weeks to recieve them, which I thought was interesting. Thanks for asking and I hope this is helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts