Gluten Free B's Infamous Cilantro Lime Chicken Fajitas with Guacamole


OK. So I will admit that I'm not much of a cook and don't really come up with what I think are very creative recipes, so when on the RARE occasion this DOES happen, I HAVE to tell the world about it!

Not only are you going to get a recipe for the Chicken Fajitas, but also a tip on how to do 2 meals in one! This is something any busy person who still wants to provide the healthiest and freshest options for their family can and should do.

This time I started out with making a whole chicken (hormone/anti-biotic free) in the crockpot. I seasoned it with seasoned salt, (a staple in this household). I use Morton's with the little girl with the umbrella because it's labeled gluten free. I also sprinkled onion powder and garlic powder as well as pepper inside and out of the bird. Then, I stuffed the inside with one cut up onion and celery. I use Badia for all my other spice because they are labeled as certified gluten free, you can find them in any local grocery store, and they are affordable.

When the chicken was an hour away from being done I threw in some cut up potatoes and carrots and an hour later, VOILA! we had a meal that miraculously EVERYONE including my three particular children LOVED! It's easy, not messy AND you will have left over chicken that you can use for the FAJITAS, or soup or whatever! How can you possibly go wrong?

You will notice I'm not the best with measurements. I think that's actually key in making an awesome meal- you have to sometimes taste as you go, or in the case with the crockpot chicken before it starts to cook, just SMELL as you go:)  DON'T TASTE RAW CHICKEN!

On to the Fajita Chicken........ Use your left over chicken that you took off the bird and stored in a container. Save the broth in a separate container. We had a bout half the chicken left approximately 2 cups. Throw the chicken into a pan with some of the chicken broth that you had leftover. You want to use just enough broth to moisten the chicken. You may need to add more as you and the chicken begins to fall apart. Heat and stir. Then you will add the following:

Cumin- about 1 tsp
Fresh cilantro- about half a bunch cut up
Salt- seasoned or regular about 1 tsp

In the meantime heat up about 5 good sized cloves of garlic crushed up in olive oil for about 2 minutes just enough to soften. Then add that to the chicken mixture, stir, taste as you go. You may want to add a little bit more of cumin, or maybe some taco seasoning.

The key is the LIME. When the chicken has fallen apart and the mixture is juicy and tastes to your liking squeeze the juice of one large lime to the mixture. Turn off the heat, mix up the chicken, and do one final taste test.



In the meantime, you can cup up onion and peppers and cook in olive oil. 


Oh, before you started the chicken you will have wanted to make the guacamole so that you can dip Tostitos into it and snack as you're cooking. That'll help you get your taste buds working and will help set the mood for the Fajitas, ya' know?

Guacamole:

2-3 ripe avocados cut up in small pieces
1/2 of a large red onion cut up into small pieces
half bunch of fresh cilantro leaves cut up
1/2 tsp of salt
1-2 plum/Roma tomatoes cut into small pieces
1/4-1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes

Mix together until there aren't a lot of chunks of avocado. I like some small chunks for texture. Add more lime, salt or crushed red pepper depending on your taste.

Taco Shells:

You can always buy the boxed corn tortillas (make sure they're gluten free though), or you can go all out and make your own crunchy authentic shells by using soft corn tortillas, and fry and form them into shells. I have used olive oil or coconut oil to fry my shells. Thanks to my awesome husband who grew up in California and never had a store bought taco shell for introducing me to this idea. Once you have a freshly made taco shell, you can never go back!

I hope you will take the time to try this recipe and let me know how they turned out for you. Enjoy!






Comments

Popular Posts